Your vision is one of your most valuable assets and so it is important to take care of both your vision and your eyeglasses diligently. Regularly cleaning your eyeglasses is crucial, as it prevents lens and frame damage and ensures that you avoid eye strain and vision impairments caused by built-up dirt and grime. While a swift wipe with your shirt might seem like a quick fix, it is not the ideal way to clean your eyeglasses...
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR GLASSES:
When cleaning your glasses on the go, avoid using your clothing whenever possible. Your clothing is made from rough fabric and is loaded with harmful bacteria that will damage your lenses over time, and that will get transferred to your face. Instead of using your clothing, carry a lens cloth and cleanser with you and wipe your glasses down properly in this order:
3) Nose bridge
Oils from your skin tend to gather on the nose bridge of your glasses and will then get transferred to your lenses and damage and re-dirty them. It is best to clean your nose pads last.
HOW TO DEEP CLEAN YOUR GLASSES:
If you have more time on your hands, it is incredibly beneficial to deep clean your eyeglasses at least once a week with soap and water. Here’s how to clean your eyeglasses in the sink:
1) Fill your sink with lukewarm water (not too hot, as it can damage your glasses).
2) Add 2-3 drops of gentle dish soap or bath soap to the water.
3) Using your fingers, gently lather the soap on both lenses and on the entire frame. Pay extra attention to the nose pads and the temples where your skin oils tend to build up the most.
4) Set your glasses aside and wash the extra soap off of your hands. This ensures that dirt and oil from your hands don’t transfer back onto your glasses.
5) Empty the sink and rinse your glasses under lukewarm water, ensuring that all soap is gone.
6) Gently dry your eyeglasses with a microfiber cloth or set them in a safe spot to let them air dry.It is best to deep clean your glasses with water and soap every day, but you may not have time for that, so try to clean your eyeglasses with soap and water at least twice a week to ensure your glasses last, and to minimize the germs and bacteria that gets transferred to your face.